Scheduled to open its doors to the public in 2016, the Bristol Aerospace Centre will tell the story of the aerospace industry since 1910 when Bristol entrepreneur Sir George White established the British and Colonial (later, Bristol) Aeroplane Company.
Located on a site on Filton Airfield, the Centre will feature two World War One listed hangars which, when fully refurbished, will house a museum, learning suites, archives and workshops.
On the same site a major new building will create a permanent home for Concorde, which was designed and built at Filton and landed there after completing its final supersonic flight in 2003.
It is estimated that the Bristol Aerospace Centre will cost upwards of £13 million to complete. Much of the funding needed will come through financial support from corporate partners and the Heritage Lottery Fund. The remainder will be raised from private donations and other charitable sources.
Artefacts for the museum are currently being collected from around the world and to ensure that items are handled safely and efficiently on site, reliable materials handling equipment is essential.
Jungheinrich has supplied the centre with a fully refurbished TFG 425 engine-powered counterbalanced truck to help manoeuvre the sometimes heavy and awkwardly shaped exhibits into storage when they arrive at the facility.
Like all refurbished trucks offered by Jungheinrich, the TFG 425 in use at the Bristol Aerospace Centre has been through the Jungheinrich Group’s Dresden refurbishment factory. At Dresden every machine is completely dismantled and all worn or defective parts are replaced – including tyres and lift chains. The trucks are cleaned inside and out and repainted before being reassembled and safety tested.
Jungheinrich UK Ltd