On Wednesday 4th May 2011, the doors, to the Scottish Final of the RTITB Operator of the Year Competition 2011, will open. The event, being held at GTG Training, 1330 South Street, Glasgow on 4th May 2011, runs from 9.30am to 3pm and concludes with the announcement of the Scottish National Champion by Paul Stollard, HSE’s Director in Scotland. The RTITB Operator of the Year 2011 is sponsored by Toyota Material Handling UK and TNT Express Services UK and Ireland.
Whilst the competitor’s are being tested there are various other activities and entertainments that can be undertaken including visiting a caricaturist and the wii fastest lap competition. There are four tests for the competitors to undertake. They are marked on a “penalties” basis. The competitor with the lowest number of penalties after all finalists have completed the tests will be crowned Scottish National Champion and will go forward to the Grand Final on 16th September 2011 to compete for the chance to be RTITB Operator of the Year 2011. The Scottish National Champion will also receive a trophy, sponsored by Toyota Material Handling UK and a Red buyagift.com experience voucher. The 1st runner up will also go forward to the Grand Final and will receive an Orange buyagift.com experience voucher, whilst the 2nd runner up will receive a Jade buyagift.com experience voucher.
The trucks being used in the finalist testing have been supplied by Toyota Material Handling UK and are Toyota 7FBMF electric powered counterbalance trucks, with a 3 ton lift capacity and a 4.3m FSV mast. The logistics for the event have been supplied by TNT Express Services UK & Ireland and driven by their Fleet Driver of the Year.
The Scottish National Finalists are:
- John Reilly, from Airdrie, trained by Lagta SPX
- Ian Robertson, from Inverness, trained and employed by TNT Express
- Alexander Walker, from Alexandria, trained by MetTECH UK, employed by Boxes and Packaging
- David Thomas, from Perth, trained by Active Industrial Training Ltd, employed by top staff employment
- Robert Watson, from Ayre, trained by John McWhinnie Forklift Training, employed by BPI Industrial
- Glen Doyle, from Glasgow, trained by GTG Training Ltd
- Simon Bottomley, from Ramsey, trained by Manx Industrial Training Services, employed by Nasaleze Ltd
- Gary Reilly, from Motherwell, trained by Lagta SPX, employed by Siemens PLC
- Trevor Muirhead, from Falkirk, trained by Lagta SPX
- Peter Rowling, from Glasgow, trained by S C S A Limited, employed by McGinley Support Services
- John Beskow, from Midlothian, trained by Sibbald Limited
- Martin Spiers, from Ayr, trained by Lagta Group Training, employed by Wilkinson Ltd
The 3 other National Finals take place as follows;
- 18th May 2011 – Irish National Final
- 1st June 2011 – Welsh National Final
- 15th June 2011 – Midlands & Southern England National Final
The National Finals are open to the public; however attendance (via www.rtitb.co.uk/fltcompetition) should be registered in advance as places are limited.