Penny + Giles, a business group of Curtiss-Wright Controls and a designer and manufacturer of position sensors, solenoids, and manual controllers has launched its new robust, hand-operated Hall-effect technology-based JC1500 joystick for single-axis operator control of cranes, aerial work platforms and other off-highway vehicle applications. The compact joystick comes with a range of user-defined features, enabling OEMs to quickly and efficiently build safe and reliable control systems.
Because the JC1500 joystick is designed with cast metal components it provides superior strength and reliability. It can be supplied with a wide range of handle styles to suit specific applications that may, for example, require the increased safety and functionality offered by finger-operated triggers, buttons and rockers.
To support unique, customer-specific handle shapes or design requirements, the JC1500 is also available in a ‘no handle’ version with a plain operating lever provided for interfacing with the customer’s handle.
The JC1500 features a programmable Hall-effect sensing system with dual outputs. The joystick lever’s sensor is embedded at the pivot mechanism to ensure maximum output sensitivity over the full lever travel.
JC1500 Performance Features:
• Power requirements: 5Vdc regulated or 9-30Vdc unregulated power supply
• Over-voltage protection to 40Vdc with reverse polarity protection
• Dual outputs, with independent output ramps (same or opposed)
• Analogue (0.5 to 4.5Vdc) or digital (Pulse Width Modulated) signal outputs
• Spring return or friction hold lever action
• Optional centre or end of travel locks and detent features
• Operating temperature range: -40 to +85ºC
• Environmental protection to IP69K above the mounting panel – handle sealing dependant
For optimal flexibility, a number of the JC1500’s factory-programmed sensor features can be specified when ordering, including a choice of analogue voltage or digital PWM signals on two channels. Each output can be configured with the same or opposed output ramps, enabling summed outputs to be monitored for error checking. Additionally, OEMs can choose advanced custom features including:
• Non-linear outputs
• Switched outputs
• Clamp voltages
• Extended analogue voltage to emulate potentiometer signals.
The JC1500 also provides mechanical options that enable the customer to best suit their specific application. These mechanical options include
• Spring to center lever action
• Friction hold lever action
• Center or end locking functions
• Intermediate detent positions.
The JC1500 joystick can be simply and quickly adapted into an OEM’s system. Its compact design (53mm depth) under the mounting panel enables it to fit easily inside enclosures and control panels. It is intended to be mounted in environments that are subject to external weather conditions all year-round, on applications such as vehicle cab controls and aerial work platform control panels. The joystick has IP69K protection above the mounting flange (handle dependant) for protection against the ingress of particles and fluids, even under pressure wash-downs.
Penny + Giles Controls Ltd Tel: 01202 409409 www.pennyandgiles.com