When it comes to job creation, automation divides opinion. The mantra of “work smarter rather than harder” has never been more relevant to manufacturing, given the 21st century desire for things to be available quicker and of better quality, whilst dare we say it, “cheaper”. Qualifying what “cheaper” means is however very important and a subject very dear to PALLITE®, as we pride ourselves on providing solutions that ultimately lead to a “cash” saving for all our customers. These savings can manifest themselves in many ways and “great” businesses do reap the rewards of looking to fully understand their processes, before making decisions based on all, rather than some of the information.
With these thoughts in mind, transit packaging and paper pallet manufacturer PALLITE® of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, recently invested over £100,000 in automation. The state-of-the-art CNC cutter, which has a 6x3m working area, aims to not only increase production capabilities and capacity, but also extend the PALLITE® offering. This will in turn lead to incremental sales growth and additional job creation, as well as developing the skills of some of the existing team. This is all part of the next phase of evolution from a company looking to meet the growing demand for the company’s award-winning PALLITE® range.
The PALLITE® Pallet Box, as with all the range, benefits from a flexibility in production that can satisfy multiple shapes and sizes. The new machine can readily switch between specifications and ensure a slick service. The new CNC capability also means that the PALLITE® range can now satisfy more requests from within the industries that PALLITE® currently operate, but also explore entirely new sectors with an ability to create both fitments and locators. For example, due to the high-value nature of components shipped, the PALLITE® Pallet Box is well suited to the automotive industry and has already been adopted by numerous organisations. With a collapsible design that is known for strength and a 25mm reinforced honeycomb wall, a PALLITE® Pallet Box is proven to withstand even the most turbulent of journeys. By switching to a PALLITE® Pallet Box from a corrugate or wooden alternative, it means that an automotive component manufacturer could:
• Save their team time and effort with assembly in under 10 seconds
• Eliminate unwanted transport costs by maximising container and vehicle capacity with any size or shape pallet box, as well as stackable configurations
• Minimise damages with a 25mm thick protective wall – ideal for valuable, luxury or fragile goods
• Secure loads and minimise damages with edge protectors through strapping and banding
• Slash their total distribution costs – a PALLITE® Pallet Box is 36% lighter than a ‘wooden pallet/corrugate box’ combination
• Reduce their environmental impact with 100% recyclable materials from sustainable sources
• Lower the risk of back injury due to weight reduction and also general injury through the removal of nails and splinters
• Create an ISPM15 exempt solution by coupling with a PALLITE® Pallet
PALLITE®’s new CNC cutter can work on paper, metal or wood and allows for protection of oddlyshaped components by creating locators and fitments for their boxes that are more resistant to turbulence and damages than corrugate alternatives. PALLITE® has become the all-round proposition.
What does automation mean to us? When you put the right machinery together with great products and a skilled and dedicated team, then 2018 is set to be a fantastic year for PALLITE® with the creation of many new opportunities and jobs.
THE ALTERNATIVE PALLET COMPANY LTD